• Register
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Windows 10

Windows 10 8 years 9 months ago #1762

Has anyone else got this little pop up at the bottom right of windows. Should I bother or not? Leki I am looking at you. I require guidance.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Windows 10 8 years 9 months ago #1763

I've got it also and reserved as its free.

Windows 10 8 years 9 months ago #1764

I've tried the windows 10 tech preview builds and I don't really like it, its more like windows 8 than windows 7. Looks like shit with the flat i'm on a mobile phone look and feel.

I'm sure with a lot of tweaking and changing things it could be usable again but for now I would stick to windows 7, you have a year to make use of the free upgrade offer so no rush. Best to wait until at least 6 months when better drivers are out and all the compatibility problems etc will be fixed before changing to windows 10.

With directx12 only being on windows 10 though that will be the only real reason for gamers to have to upgrade, but will be at least a year until any decent games take advantage of that so best to wait before "upgrading" to windows 10.

Also the only reason M$ are making this free is really they want everyone on windows 10 so they can force the windows app store on you and want you to buy all your shit through them so that they make $$$.
Last Edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Leki.

Windows 10 8 years 9 months ago #1765

• DY357LX
  • I would kill you for a crumpet.
I installed the Windows 10 developer preview on my friends laptop last week and found it to be fine.
It's not great (takes some getting used to but Win 8 users will adapt faster) but it's also not bad.

Performance was good across games (on a mediocre machine) as well as system boots + shut-downs being quick. I only ran into one device that give me driver issues.

As for looks of the UI... well you can easily customise all that the same way you could with most Windows OS's. After a couple of months programs will be released that allow further customisation.

I plan to wait several months (probably October when I plan to build a new gaming rig) and then try it out. This way I won't run into any of the problems early adaptors usually get and we'll be able to see what game developers say about DirectX 12 integration, see how nVIDIA + AMD drivers are performing and see what kind of performance increases/decreases common but older games (ArmA 3, CS:GO etc) are having.
And so is the Golden City blackened
With each step you take in my Hall.
Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven
And doom upon all the world.

Windows 10 8 years 7 months ago #1799

Tried win 10 pro on my main pc yesterday had to quickly go back to 7 as my soundcard has no win 10 drivers yet.

Windows 10 8 years 7 months ago #1811

• DY357LX
  • I would kill you for a crumpet.
Is it made by Creative? If so, they've just been released:
support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=126331
And so is the Golden City blackened
With each step you take in my Hall.
Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven
And doom upon all the world.

Windows 10 8 years 7 months ago #1813

Yep and got them but not gonna bother with the upgrade yet.

Windows 10 8 years 3 months ago #1844

upgraded everythings great apart from my lg blu ray drive no longer exists

Windows 10 7 years 8 months ago #1863

Hi I need some advice please. I am going to do a fresh install soon and I would like to install windows 10 on my system. I got the free/compulsory upgrade from microsoft, is there a cheap place to get windows 10 without installing my old operating system first and then choosing the free upgrade.

Windows 10 7 years 8 months ago #1864

Tasinger wrote:
Hi I need some advice please. I am going to do a fresh install soon and I would like to install windows 10 on my system. I got the free/compulsory upgrade from microsoft, is there a cheap place to get windows 10 without installing my old operating system first and then choosing the free upgrade.

I recently looked into this as I thought I was going to have to re-install Windows 10.

If you're installing it onto your existing system, it should just "work" as Microsoft have replaced product keys with something called "Entitlement". Your entitlement to Windows 10 should be automatically checked and approved the first time you connect back to the internet.

I've not tried this in practice myself, but it should work. I believe you can download Windows 10 installer directly from Microsoft, then just make a bootable USB stick and go from there.

Windows 10 7 years 8 months ago #1868

Tasinger wrote:

www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

as FatAndAngry said microsoft makes a log of your hardware ID for windows 10 when activated. So you can reinstall windows 10 and it will automatically be activated if it is the same hardware.....if you change your motherboard or something then it will probably get a different ID though....but changing things like hard drive or graphics card etc should be ok.

My advice would be to "upgrade" first....then make sure windows 10 runs well enough and that is gets activated and is listed as "genuine". Then you can use the "reset this PC" option which will reinstall windows 10 in a clean state just like doing a clean install.

Windows 10 7 years 8 months ago #1884

Thanks, worked a treat. :)

Windows 10 7 years 8 months ago #1885

trying today ! :D

S5 Box

Login/Logout

Register

Please click the image below to register with the site