• Register
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Windows 10 tweaks

Windows 10 tweaks 7 years 8 months ago #1882

***NOTE free windows 10 offer will expire on 29th July so get it now www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade , you can upgrade from pirated versions of windows 7 and 8 (if they are listed as genuine). Just upgrade first and make sure windows 10 is activated and then you can also use the "reset this PC" option to clean install and still have windows 10 free and activated.***

So if you are installing windows 10 or or already have it installed you might find some of these useful if you want your privacy and control of your own computer rather than let microsoft own it. Made this list so I can remember half the stuff I need to change when I install windows 10 for people, so choose which you want to do :)

If clean installing/upgrading then when you get to the "Get going fast" screen DON'T click "use express settings", instead click the "Customize settings" and turn everything off (you can leave smartscreen browser protection on).

If clean installing then when on the create microsoft account page you can skip it and use a local account.

Once windows 10 is installed you will want to replace the horrible new metro start menu with the one from win7 www.classicshell.net/
when installing disable "Classic Explorer" and "Classic IE", you just want the main program and the updater.
Once installed click the start button and choose windows 7 style, then choose "skin" tab and change skin to "Windows Aero".

To stop sending all your data and what you do to microsoft then do the following (some of these should be disabled already if you turned them off when installing windows) www.itworld.com/article/2974773/windows/...-piece-by-piece.html it has 2 pages.

Also disable telemetry winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetr...ction-in-windows-10/

Microsoft have tried to take away all control of what windows updates you install and so will now install whatever they want and restart your computer when they want since they now own it....if you want to take back control then read what your options are here www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-...downloading-updates/

If the lock screen picture pisses you off as you have to keep clicking it every time you log in then disable it here www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6567-lock-sc...le-windows-10-a.html (see OPTION TWO registry fix)

Get yourself a decent browser, Microsoft Edge is shit so I recommend Vivaldi vivaldi.com , Its a new browser from the team that did the great opera browser (up to version 12). It is still new so is getting more and more features added but its already as good as chrome. It uses the same renderer as chrome so pages display fast and you can use all the same plug-ins and extensions as chrome. Once installed I recommend using the following:
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ghoste...ichcflejclcbmpeaniij (blocks adverts and tracking on websites)
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adbloc...akcndndgjdbohmhepckk (removes youtube ads)
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hd-for...nkopckegnmjgihagponf (Automatically enables HD on youtube)

If you want to make win10 more like win7 then you can do home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/make-...osoft-11364046064405

Disable hibernate. If you never use the sleep or hibernate feature then you can disable it which will remove the hiberfil.sys file which can be use up many gigabytes of disk space. (note this will disable fast startup feature)
Press Windows + X keys to open Power menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
To enable the Hibernate, type command powercfg/h on
To disable the Hibernate, type command powercfg/h off

If you are on a desktop PC make sure you are on high performance mode (laptops leave as balanced)
Press the Windows + R keys > type powercfg.cpl

Disable superfetch (from services), If you use a SSD it is not needed but keep on if you only have HDD.
www.technipages.com/windows-enable-disable-superfetch

Microsoft has removed the F8 options at start up so you can't boot into safe mode etc if windows wont boot. If you dont have bootable CD or usb stick with windows on then you are totally fucked. you can re-enable it here www.windows10forums.com/articles/enable-...fe-mode-boot-menu.8/
Also if you liked the "System restore" feature to fix windows problems then that is sometimes disabled, you can enable it again in Control Panel --> System --> system protection

View file extensions for known filetypes, need to be able to see .exe etc
To enable go to Control Panel --> File Explorer Options --> View tab --> untick Hide extensions for known file types

might add more as I go, if anyone has anything more to add then post :)

edit:
Don't do the below until some days after big August 2nd Win10 patch comes as may break it and need new version:
I really hate windows 10 flat plain mobile phone look so if you want to go even further and make win10 look just like win7 then you can get the aero glass patch and theme www.glass8.eu/download.html
sagorpirbd.deviantart.com/art/Aero-7-The...in10-Final-523979941
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Leki.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Windows 10 tweaks 7 years 8 months ago #1893

If anyone missed the free windows 10 upgrade then Microsoft have added (on purpose no doubt) a loophole to still upgrade win7 or win8 for free with www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

There is no extra checks or difference from the previous offer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

S5 Box

Login/Logout

Register

Please click the image below to register with the site